Michael West is a partner and manages the California office of Moore & Lee, LLP. Michael is an experienced trial attorney with over twenty-five years of experience, having represented clients in jury trials and bench trials in state and federal courts and in arbitrations over a wide variety of practice areas.
Michael focuses his practice on the defense of providers in the long-term care industry by representing corporate and individual clients in all aspects of litigation regarding claims against residential care facilities for the elderly (including memory care), skilled nursing facilities, and hospice providers. Michael has successfully represented his clients against claims of elder abuse, intentional torts, exposure to COVID-19, wrongful death, fraud, emotional distress, unfair business practices, violation of patient’s rights, breach of contract and breach of statutory duties.
The strength of Michael’s long-term care practice — particularly in the high-stakes, high-risk world of litigation in California — rests on his vast experience in commercial and civil litigation. Michael has successfully represented clients in claims involving product liability (medical device litigation), premises liability (including liability for criminal actions of third parties), transportation, professional liability (real estate agents/brokers and mortgage loan brokers), defamation, fraud, mold exposure (including landlord/tenant disputes regarding breach of habitability), property boundary disputes, homeowners’ association disagreements, and a wide variety of intentional torts including battery, hate crimes, sexual assault and false arrest. Michael has handled fraudulent claims, policy-limit demands, and excess policy-limit scenarios, having represented clients in cases alleging damages arising out of death, loss of sight/hearing/limbs, paralysis, brain injury, and permanent burns/scarring.
- J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law, 1994
- B.A., Harding University, 1990
- California, 1994
- United States Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- DRI – Long Term Care Division
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- San Diego County Bar Association